2016 is nearly over and attention has swung to 2017. I don’t know about you but I have heard several times, from several people, in several different venues that 2017 is going to be a great year. Optimism abounds. So the question becomes how do we prepare for and succeed in the New Year? Do you have a strategy to invest in yourself in 2017?
Personal Development is an intentional investment to improve yourself. I once read a fortune cookie that said, “Self improvement projects are a must!” At the time, it was pretty funny but there is truth in the statement. In order to personally develop, we must assess, adapt, plan and activate.
So what does it mean to invest in yourself?
Seven Ways to Invest in Yourself
- Get on top of your money. Make sure that you know what’s coming in, what’s going out. More importantly, determine how you can make your money grow. Most millionaires have 7 major streams of income. How can your money work for you.
- Work on Leadership Development. In his book, Developing the Leader Within You, John Maxwell writes, “Our joy and success in leading others depend on our abilities to keep climbing the levels of leadership.” As our leadership grows, so will our impact on others.
- Increase your social skills. Social media is changing the way we communicate and connect with others. Build your brand by excelling in two, maybe three areas. But the old fashion way, simply talking with people, is vital as well. WB Yeats once said, “There are no strangers here; only friends we haven’t yet met.” One of the simplest and most power gifts you can give somebody is your openness, warmth and smile. Be generous and care.
- Balance your God life, family and vocation. Always remember that your spiritual life comes first and family second. Business/work is important but we need something bigger than ourselves to connect with. They become part of our reason for doing all that we do.
- Improve and/or maintain your health. Our mind, body and spirit are our biggest resources. Create patterns to optimal health. Healthy eating, regular exercise will enhance all areas of our life.
- Elevate your social connections. Jim Rohn once said, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” If you hang out with a group of successful, positive-minded individuals who believe in taking responsibility for their lives, you will move to become a proactive individual who shapes his/her future. You may lose friends along the way but so what! If their negativity weighs you down, then you don’t need them.
- Know your vision and your why. Our vision and our why establish our priorities. Distractions, life events will get in the way. But as John Maxwell noted, “You cannot overestimate the unimportance of practically everything”. Focus on the important goals and priorities.
Now is the time to invest in yourself. I promise you, if you do, 2017 will be a spectacular year.