Just how important is mobile marketing? Great question and consider the following. Researchers have found that, by 2018, the average American adult will spend 3 hours and 23 minutes per day on their mobile device looking scrolling through social media. Isn’t that crazy? In contrast, the average daily use was approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes in 2013. This has huge implications for mobile marketing.
Mobile Marketing and more data
- 80% of all social media usage is accessed from mobile devices
- 57% of those surveyed would consider purchasing if the website is designed well for mobile devices
- Mobile users are more likely to open their email from mobile devices. In fact, users open email from their mobile devices increased by 180% in just three years.
What does all of that mean? The statistics demonstrate the importance of creating content that is mobile friendly. It also highlights the top areas mobile users want you to be friendly with their devices: social media, your website and in your email, text campaigns and search engines.
Our marketing success depends on our ability to write great content for mobile devices.
Mobile marketing and 6 key elements
- The average attention span of an adult is 8 seconds. Your content must reach your audience quickly. Lead first with how you can help your target audience. Marketers will really have to know who is their ideal customer.
- If you are going to offer free value, then you should also do that powerfully and early in your content.
- Your writing should employ small words, short sentences and quick paragraphs . Use bullet points, strong subject lines and clear headlines to communicate clear with your reader.
- The tone of your writing should be casual yet personable. Most people log onto social media during non-work times. This is not the time to be formal and stodgy.
- Your call to action buttons must be mobile friendly. Hyperlinks must be easy to use, buttons must be easy to hit and accurate.
- Develop your email campaign with mobile devices in mind. Subject lines should be 50 characters or less. Use emoji’s or other images to send the message for you. Your content must be easily visible on desk top, lap top and mobile devices alike.
Leave your comments below. I would love to hear your thoughts and perhaps share ideas. This is truly an exciting time to be in marketing.